The Best of Friends® (BoF) program gives children the knowledge, skills, and confidence to understand and manage their emotions, set and achieve positive goals, show empathy for others, develop and maintain friendships and make good decisions. The program includes a concise and engaging set of materials to facilitate Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) for children aged 7 to 11 years.
Workshops are conducted weekly in 10 sessions (1 hour each). The program content is aligned with the Australian Curriculum and features:
- Self-awareness and self-management
- Social awareness and social management
Developed by educational and developmental psychologist Dr Kimberley O’Brien and the Quirky Kid team, the BoF program draws on decades of clinical and school-based experience and research to help students overcome common social and emotional issues. Participants will learn how to:
- Make and maintain positive friendships
- Develop empathy and communication skills
- Recognise, express and manage their own emotions
- Negotiate and resolve conflict
- Work independently and more cooperatively
- Increase resilience and be assertive
- Share ideas appreciate diverse perspectives, and
- Develop teamwork and leadership skills
SEL for better student outcomes
Research suggests that Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) opportunities significantly increase student outcomes – academically and socially – at school and in later life. The Best of Friends® program aims to increase social and emotional well-being at home and school. The program provides literature, theory, and practice for young people to better understand themselves and others.
Term 1, 2021 Program Details
The program will run weekly, for 10 weeks. Please review the booking details below.
- 10 sessions (one hour each) for a maximum of 4 participants.
- 2 x 30 minutes parent consultations (by phone) before and after the program.
- An award-winning workbook featuring interactive activities, facts, fieldwork, and stories.
- Weekly email updates with key program content and suggestions for home and school.
|Group||Start Date||Start Time||Places left|
|7 to 8 years||Thursday 22nd April 2021||4 pm to 5 pm||4 spots left!|
|9 to 12 years||Thursday 22nd April 2021||5 pm to 6 pm||4 spots left!|
If your child has a pre-existing diagnosis, a pre-screening session with one of our Psychologists is required beforehand (at an additional cost). Please phone 9362 9297 to make a booking.
Group programs are held at Quirky Kid’s Austinmer Clinic: Unit 105, 62 Moore Street, Austinmer NSW
The registration cost is $930 per child ( This is only $93 per session). You can now join online and receive a $150 discount. Hurry! There are limited places available!Book Now
- If you are unsure if your child is suitable for this workshop please read our helpful article.
- To determine if your child is a good fit for our programs, we ask for all children with any diagnosis to attend a pre-program appointment with one of our psychologists to determine suitability.
- Review more information about our Workshops and Programs online.
- By registering, you accept the terms and conditions that include non-refundable conditions.